Pages

11 May 2010

Desktop Makeover

I have had my MacBook since 2006, and when I buy something I really like, I make plans. Wise plans. Super plans. Do I actually carry out any of these plans, you ask scathingly? Uh, no. The joy is in the planning, duh.

Anyway, my plans for the MacBook included:

1. Knitting a grey and red cover to protect it from scratches.
This was part of the Knitting Adventure of Glory Mel and I embarked on, in which Mel
set out to make a scarf and made a blanket, and I set out to make a laptop cover and made -- something, uh, secret, that you're not allowed to know about.

2. Buying a grey cover and embroidering a design in red on it.
Cover bought. Cover still grey.


3. Sewing buttons all over the grey cover.
I did manage to collect all the buttons ready to sew. They're rattling around in one of my bags.


4. Covering the facade of the MacBook with a collage of magazines clippings and stickers.
After nearly four years, I stuck one sticker on this week: progress! The rest of the clippings and things I cut out are having a PARTAY somewhere with the buttons.


But this week everything changed, because I rediscovered the joy of icons. And now my desktop is an assortment of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and some other nice things courtesy of PixelGirl Presents.


The whole desktop. That picture in the center is actually a painting, by the way.


The LOTR icon set are so beautifully intricate. I love the lembas bread. What's that? Of course it makes sense to use it for "projects"! Sam had to ration the lembas bread very carefully otherwise they'd starve and the quest would fail, dooming Middle Earth forever! - TELL ME THAT'S NOT A PROJECT.

I love icons, although somehow forgot about them since primary school, where I changed my animated mouse and desktop icons on a weekly basis, until my computer crashed. The two events were, of course, unrelated.

4 comments:

Mel said...

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE THIS! YOUR ICONS ARE SO AWESOME I WANT THEM. "Lembas bread! MORE lembas bread!"

Is the "The Actual Work" icon also from LOTR? Or is it just a really nice-looking notebook? Lovely, Clairey!

claire said...

The book icon is from the lotr set too! That set actually has several books. I can't remember the name of this one but they have the "they are coming" book from Moria too! I think this set is the most detailed, and I love it.

By the way, I only just posted this today. You are one fast cookie. I can send you the lotr set tmw if you don't want to look for it on pixel girl ( I think there are two lotr sets, one has Sting and the brooches used to clasp the elven cloaks). But it is fun to look through all the stuff they have too, heh.

claire said...

Just realised I should probably try to get a sorting hat icon for "to be sorted". Yay.

Mel said...

Sorting hat! Good idea.

I found the LOTR and Star Wars sets on PixelGirl. I prefer the "Armoury of the Third Age" one as opposed to the one with Sting. Although the "One Ring" is nicer in the Sting set.

Sort of re-vamped my desktop, but of course it does not look as impressive on a PC. Haha! There are also very nice sets with dinosaurs and cute animals.

And nice desktop backgrounds and iPhone wallpapers. Hooray! Have a great week ahead, buddy.